What You Might Find Here

All things related to food

Stories about my life; past, present and future

Relevant and irrelevant political, social and economic commentary

Updates on local environmental issues

Poetry

Subscribe by following the link below and I will love you for ever and ever. If I could smile right here, I would, a big, toothy one.

Subscribe Now -- Click here to get updates

27 June 2010

bikram class 6: a scorpion in the room!!!!!!!

i skipped my 6th day and moved my 6th class to the seventh day i've been in austin. i needed a break for 1 day to re-group and also to take care of a couple other things that were going on.

my 6th class was yesterday (saturday) and it was a little wild as far as yoga classes go.

first, right before i arrived a saw a man in a thong riding his bike around the city streets of austin.

second, there were two new students in class and a brand new bikram yoga teacher who didn't know how to give them corrections. they were doing all the postures wrong and could have potentially hurt themselves. plus they were really distracting and standing directly in front of me. maybe this repeating circumstance is just a reminder to me to pay attention only to my practice and not to everyone else. i did a lot better this time than with the previous distracting situation.

third, halfway through class a woman sat up and pointed to the ground and said "it's a scorpion." yes, that's right; A SCORPION loose in the room with a bunch of half naked, sweaty, focused-on-other things people. the yoga teacher smashed it and someone said "are you going to kill it?" as if it was some horrible anti-yoga thing to do. he said "yeah. it's a scorpion!" i agree!

anyway, it was a good class for me. i felt stronger after my 1 day break. i worked hard.

today, i go to a new studio here in austin to take advantage of their 2 weeks for $20 unlimited yoga special. it's further away and i have to get on the highway to go there.

one thing that has been really interesting in doing yoga so regularly is that it has helped the swelling that hasn't left my forearms since i had carpal tunnel, tendonitis stuff happen in february. each day in yoga, the heat and intensified circulation of blood through my body makes my forearms swell to epic proportions. then after i leave class and cool down, the swelling goes down and they look more and more normal after each class. it's really great. all the blood rushing there during yoga creates a draining away of more and more of the stagnant blood or fluids that have been stuck there for almost half a year now.

i feel good. so happy to be here giving this gift to myself.

No comments: